Apply for an American Express Merchant Account online
It's free to apply, and once you answer some simple questions about your business we can give you a rate or payment plan. After you review it, you can submit a full application and we'll give you something else: an immediate decision. It's that easy.
Save time by having the following information ready before you start.
- Total Annual Sales
- Average Transaction Amount
- Bank Account Number (DDA) and Routing Code (ABA) (?)
- If you are a travel agency you must provide your valid ARC/IATA number.
- Sole Proprietors: Name and social security number of owner/authorized signer
- All other business types: Name of owner/authorized signer and Federal Tax ID Number (?)
Setting up your account with American Express is easy.† Upon approval of your application,† you will receive an American Express merchant account† number.† You will need to provide that account number to your processor to program into your existing terminal.† If you do not have a terminal, we will provide a link †at the end of the application process where you can get more information about them.
Call us at 855.894.6570 and
have your information handy.
Read the FAQs
To verify your account
After you successfully complete your application, we need a voided check from the bank account you're using. This is so we can confirm the account is active. Please fax it to 866.230.3552 or email an image of it to KYC1@aexp.com and include your Merchant account number on the check (from the Thank You screen at the end).